Friday, February 18, 2011

My Eye is Twitching...

So I have been cranky lately. You may not have noticed at the gym because I try to keep my cherub-like demeanor around other people. It may because of the lack of overhead squats in my life AND because I re-injured my back doing deadlifts. And by re-injuring it, I mean I can't even pick up a full basket of laundry. Or a half full basket of laundry. So I am cranky.

I definitely has it.

I am also a little frustrated about many things. I took out out this morning on a poor unsuspecting tire with a sledge hammer. That was rad.

Anyway, one of the things I am frustrated about includes women refusing to lift because it will make them bulky. Whenever I hear a woman worried about lifting too much weight because it might make her arms a little bigger, it makes me want to crush her with my man thighs. Now, I have man-thighs because it is the way I am built. Even if I don't lift, they are thunderous. I would rather have muscular thunder thighs than fatty thunder thighs. They are the same size either way, one just has less jiggle. You will not get bulky. You need muscle to help you lose weight. Straight cardio just won't do it. What am I talking about? Glad you asked. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go read this article by Adam Signoretta at elitefts.com. He explains it VERY well and simply. You need to eat better and train right to look hot in that dress. Also, go pick up a barbell. You won't turn into the Incredible Hulk.

Today was Chop Till You Drop Day.

Perfect birthday present for me!
Friday, February 18


Chop Till You Drop


AMRAP in 25 minutes

P1: Run 400m
P2: 20 Tire Chops (10 L/10R), 10 Tire Jumps, 10 Tire Push Ups

I did it with both classes this morning and it was awesome. It actually wasn't too bad. I was worried because of my back. The running helped a lot. I did tire step ups instead of jumps and mixed up the push ups with tire push ups and modified ground push ups. We finished 6 rounds in the 6 am class and 5 rounds in the 7. I still can't lift the laundry basket but I already feel better.

Thursday, February 17

This was a lifting day where I hurt myself doing 205# Deadlifts. I thought I was ready. I was wrong.

Wednesday, February 16


5 Rounds:
400m Run
30 Wall Balls (20/12)
40 Lunges (20L/20R)
1 Net/Rope Climb

I picked this one specifically because the net is back up and I missed it and wanted to climb it. I used a 12# ball for Wall Balls. The Lunges made my legs wobbly toward the end and the Net climbs were MAGNIFICENT! Oh, how I have missed it. It was just me and Omid for this WOD and we finished in 35:32. Wall Balls are tough!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this is encouragement or discouragement, but it was a good 3-4 months after my back injury until I was able to lift even moderately heavy weights without worry of re-injury. Even then, I significantly limited my deadlifts and focused instead on moderately heavy back squats. It was a full year after my injury until I felt I could go heavy with the deadlifts again, and it has only been in the last several months (now nearly two years after my accident) that I'm lifting at and beyond my pre-injury deadlift PR. Take it slow. Seriously, avoid deadlifts for a long time, or do a solid warm-up before you even consider them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is encouragement Dave! Thanks for letting me know.I have a bad habit of getting frustrated when my body doesn't heal according to my schedule. With this last deadlift, I have learned my lesson big time. ::le sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  3. *slams fist on desk**
    agreeing with everything you said from the deadlift injury (still recovering from mine) to the thunderous quads. Love mine, too.

    ReplyDelete