Monday, April 11, 2011

Beat Downs

Have you ever had such a bad day that it turns into a bad week? Like, the kind of week where all you want is for it to be Saturday so you can just stay in bed and ignore people? That was my week last week. Here is probably what I looked like just about all week:

Go ahead and try whatever it is you're thinking. I dare you.
The biggest beat down of the week, which also happened on Friday night in my ill-chosen A&P class, was a lab test that really didn't adequately reflect what we were given to study. The funny part that night was after the test we had to take each others' blood pressure. Of course I was fuming out of control during the procedure and the following conversation ensued:

Shairna (who happens to be the best thing to come out of this dumb class): "120/85."
Me: "WHAT?!?!?!?! THAT IS SO HIGH!!!!! AUGGGGGH!!!!!"
Shairna: "Well...you're angry!"

Fair enough. I was. In fact, I was so angry I seriously though about going straight to the gym and pounding on the tire with a sledge hammer for a bit, but opted instead to go home and drink some wine. Topping off an overall frustrating week with a failed test (one that I did study for, mind you) was just a bit more failure than I could handle. I mean, I can handle a lot of failure. If there is one thing I am good at, it is failing! 

I kid,  I kid. You have to fail sometimes to learn. I just prefer to spread my failures out, not have them occur all at once.

Anyway, some good things did happen this week. First of all, I got the news from my dear Chiropractor that I am as healed as he can get me, though I still need to take it easy for a bit and modify the things that kill me the most. The bad part of that was that I have arthritis that isn't going to go away. However, I think I will be able to manage it better now. Who has arthritis at 29? Lame.

Also, I was able to do 65# Cleans and 24 inch Box Jumps without issues. I am pretty happy about that. I did add Deadlifts back in to my repertoire. I did a whopping 45#. Only 255# more to go to meet my goal....

Last week's WODs were fantastic. There were a few that I cannot wait to do again.

Friday, April 8:

The Chicken Coop:

No, that would be a chicken COUP.

Run Short Lap
50 Burpees
Short Lap
50 OHS (65/95)
Short Lap
50 Ring Rows
Short Lap
50 Front Squats (135/95)
Short Lap
50 Push Pres (95/65)
Short Lap

Rules:
- Each partner will do 25 reps of each movement
- Only one partner works at a time
- Only one bar per pair
- All runs are done together as partners

For this one, I was in a group of 3 with Jane and Jenny. I did all the lifts prescribed and did the Ring Rows with my feet on the medium black box (12 inches, I think?). We finished in 29:45. This one was super fun! (PS, it is called The Chicken Coop because the site we got it from had the runs as "Run to the chicken coop." I have no idea how long that run was, but any place with a chicken coop sounds pretty rad!)

Wednesday, April 6:

For Time:
400m Run
25 Pull-Ups (with Strap)
25 Burpees
400m Run
25 Sit Ups
25 Chest to Deck Push ups
400m Run
25 Jumping Squats
25 4 count Mountain Climbers
400m Run
25 Pull Ups (Strap)
25 Burpees

I used the blue band to help me with the strap Pull Ups. Geez louise, were those things tough. It was the Mountain Climbers that almost killed me though. I now heart Chest-to-Deck Push Ups and am going to try to do them all the time. I finished in 25:20. 

That is all for now! I am hoping this week has much less failure!



4 comments:

  1. The medium box is 18 inches :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you looked like that cat all week! It's so you! Hope things go better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison- 120/85 is...about average for most ppl and still within normal limits, yes, even for the really ticked off. Nursing judgement- I think you'll be ok! And A/P was hard for the rest of us who took it at a spry age of 20/21 when we couldn't remember anything and the next event was thirsty Thursday at the bar. Don't beat yourself up too much, it's hard stuff.
    Have you tried any antioxidants for your arthritis or glucosatrin? Let me know, I can give you some info on some supplements I'm working with.
    Hope you're having a better week!
    Kels

    ReplyDelete