Thursday, June 23, 2011

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The people at CrossFit Tysons Corner never cease to amaze me. About a month ago, a few of us signed up for the Tough Mudder. We were all a little scared. I mean, it is a 10 mile obstacle course with obstacles like greased monkey bars over ice cold water and dangling live wires you have to sprint through. Sounds super fun, right? Right. Well, in order to conquer our obstacle fears, we decided to run the Spartan Race. We also decided to be volunteers for it so we could race for free! It was a Saturday full of fun, sun, and mud!

Here we are at the beginning. All shiny and clean.

For some reason I assumed my super hero stance. 
We had some other team members that didn't quite make this photo. We started off strong, running and jumping and climbing. As volunteers, we raced in the last heat of the day, so the trail was fairly muddy. We climbed over cargo nets and hopped over logs and walls. It was like a Crossfitters dream come true.

Then came the barbed wire.

He has definitely done this before...
Here come the rest of us!
So....close....
Nothing is better than slogging through some mud under legit barbed wire on a hot Saturday afternoon. I am lucky I am so low to the ground! Belly crawling is my specialty. Oh, this, by the way, is after we had to traverse some monkey bars. I made it across, but just barely.

Then we made our way to the bucket brigade where we lugged buckets full of rocks around. It was just about as awesome as it sounds.

They look SO happy:-)
My mom is so proud.
After that, we made it to what may have been the worst balance beam ever. Many of the CFTC peeps made it across the balance beam! It was quite a feat. Two inches wide, wobbly, and muddy from all the other athletes. They pretty much rock! As for my performance, I am blaming all the extra mud weight. Ha!


No, I didn't make it. Why do you ask?
I fell off, which meant I had to do 30 burpees as a punishment. As much as I love burpees, they darn near did me in this day. The nice thing was that we were a team, so if one person had to do burpees, everyone else joined in.

From there we ran and leaped and hopped and shuffled and were shot at by a paint ball gunner (for real). We were crawling through a net cave (don't ask) while the gunner aimed at us, since we were pretty much sitting ducks, and fired at will. Halfway through our cave exploration, he had to reload, so we used that time to get the heck outta Dodge! We climbed over a HUGE cargo net and made it over some really tall walls and one really slippery wall. And then we rushed the "Spartans" at the end.

They were no match.
This might be my most favorite picture of the day!

Filthy, bruised, scratched, bleeding, but SMILING!
We all made it through together! It was such a fun day and a fun time, I would do it again in a second, which is good considering the Tough Mudder is coming up in October! We'll have a chance to do it all over again!

There is something to be said about the CFTC camaraderie. That is one of my favorite benefits from the gym. It isn't everyday you can say you ran a race this tough and made it through with the help of your friends!

Here we are in our finish line glory.
I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment