Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How Many CrossFitters Does it Take to...

To scrounge up some AA batteries and get a rower's screen back up and...running? Rowing?

We're not friends. We never have been.
I don't know what has gotten into me, but for some reason I decided to program two types of workouts that I absolutely hate this week. The first one was a kettlebell workout. I hate them. There, I said it. Kettlebells, I dislike you. You hurt me. And you're mean. And I would rather not deal with you at all, ever. But, alas, we're always going to see each other in the gym, so I might as well be the bigger person and incorporate you into my workouts. We used them for the "Arrnie" workout on Monday, which consisted of a ridonkulous amount of Turkish Getups, one armed Overhead Squats, and Swings. What is a Turkish Getup? Let me show you:

Ah, TGUs. More fun than rowing.
Then, today, I decided to use the workout "Jerry." Running and rowing. 1 mile run, 2k row, 1 mile run.That's it. The sight of it alone is enough to make me want to stab my eyeballs out, but we all need a workout like this every once in awhile. And everything was going peachy keen until two of our four rowers decided they were just not having it and went on strike midway through the morning workout. Awesome. It's only a 2k row, no biggie (that is sarcasm, in case you can't tell.) I am so lucky that my morning classes have a good sense of humor and are willing to work together to get the job done. While I was feverishly searching the gym high and low for AA batteries to replace the seemingly dead ones in the rower computers, my wonderful 6am class took it upon themselves to finish the workout even though they had to do the WOD components out of order. Carl took a big hit when he ran 2 miles straight and THEN rowed. Such a good sport. Then Kori and Michelle went to get us some batteries after their workout! Awesome!

Needless to say I was overly cranky by the time 7am rolled around. Two rowers and five athletes does not a happy trainer make. I had already changed the workout to make it a ten minute row instead of a 2k row, so at least we could do SOME rowing. Jane, however, remembered that her computer mouse, which was in her car, used a AA battery. With bated breath, Doug paired it with one of the dying batteries and resuscitated one of the broken rowers! Three rowers! Huzzah! And all was well. Well, that is until I got to the rowing portion of the workout and it hurt my back so bad I reverted to "Cranky Alison" and swore to myself I was going to smash the rower with the brand new 16lb sledge hammer.

Hulk HATE rowing. ::HULK SMASH::
Don't worry. I didn't ACTUALLY smash it. Just mentally. Also, I finished in 31:04. Did I mention I hate rowing?

In other fantastic news, I have a new PR on back squats. 3 sets of 3 at #195. Boo to the yah.

No comments:

Post a Comment