Sunday, July 3, 2011

NamasDIE!

I tweaked my back again earlier this week. The good news is that it wasn't so bad that I couldn't move. The bad news is it is persistent and nagging and doesn't go away with exercise (as it usually does). A heating pad and massive quantities of Advil didn't stave it off. REST didn't help. So after waking up this morning and still feeling like someone was punching me in the right kidney, DTM suggested I take drastic action.

"Go ahead and try Yoga X. It'll help!" And he trotted off to the gym to do some Olympic lifts.

So I did. I got dressed, rolled out our yoga mat, filled up my water bottle, and put on the P90X Yoga dvd.

I hated it. Every. Single. Second. And it wasn't the Tony Horton kind of hate either. You know the one: "I hate it but I love it!" No. There was no love. None. In fact, it did the exact opposite yoga is meant to do. I was angrier after I finished than when I started. It pretty much went like this:

This is 100% accurate.
I had to stop after about 40 minutes into it. It wasn't my lack of flexibility that was the problem. I know I am as flexible as a 2x4. It was that almost every single pose exacerbated my back pain. (My hamstrings and calves feel much better though, thanks.) I am not a regular practioner of yoga, but I am pretty sure swearing through the whole workout does not help the meditation process.

I know that as a general rule of CrossFit, if you hate something, you need to do it more. I also know that yoga is a beneficial strength and conditioning tool. However, I am not sure if I will whole-heartedly find the time to practice yoga more often. In fact, I know I won't. I would go so far as to say that if I knew there was a "Yoga Day" at the gym, I would probably skip it on purpose. Terrible, I know.

This being said, I will make a conscious effort to stretch more before and after workouts. And maybe, just maybe, try Yoga X again and make it past the 40 minute mark.

How DTM and I will NOT be spending our next vacation.
Here is what has been going on in my CrossFit experiences lately:

Friday, July 1


Filthy Fifty
50 Box Jumps
50 Jumping Pull Ups
50 KB Swings (16kg)
50 Walking Lunges
50 Knees to Elbows
50 Push Press (45)
50 Back Extensions
50 Wall Balls (20/12)
50 Burpees
50 Double Unders

I love this WOD even though it is really tough. I was very sore this day, but thought I would try it just to workout some of the soreness. I used the 20'' box for the jumps, as I find that they are easier on my back. I did everything else as prescribed, except Wall Balls. I used the brand new 14# Rage Ball Matt got for me! It was exciting. Finished in 30:24. As far as I can tell this is my best time to date.

Tuesday, June 28


I PR-ed on my Front Squats--155# Super!

Monday, June 27


Fight Gone Bad

3 Rounds, 1 minute at each station, 1 minute rest between rounds

Wall Balls (20/12)
Push Press (75/45)
Box Jumps
SDLHP (75/45)
Row (for Calories)

I used the 14# ball for Wall Balls, 45# for Push Press, the 20" box, and 45# for SDLHP. I also rowed more than 10 calories each round, with was pretty cool. The SDLHPs are the culprits that hurt my back. Thanks. I did get my highest FGB score ever though, at 278. Kristyn was my partner and she got more reps out of me than I would have doing it by myself. Her FGB score improved DRAMATICALLY! I am so proud! Our next goal: 300. Watch out, we're going to make it happen!

Have a happy 4th of July!

Namaste:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment