Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Shut Your Face

Here is my dad:

My dad, the superhero.

He wears a lot of hats, my dad. He is a husband to my equally wonderful mother (who I won't post a picture of because she might kill me), a super dad to me and my sister, and a fantastic GRANDPA to my adorable nephew:

See? Adorable.
He is a friend, a son, a brother,a golfer, a fisherman, a former principal, and, most recently, a knee replacement surgery patient. I mention this most recent hat because I went home to see him after he got it replaced, not knowing what I would find. As a kid, it is always hard to see your parents hurt, even when it is because of a surgery that will make things better in the long run. Also, I have seen pictures in my anatomy book of joint replacements and my skin crawls when I think about them! They saw your bones off. THEY SAW YOUR BONES OFF. Ugh. Now I have the heebie jeebies.

Anyway, my dad was doing well and trying to complete all of the exercises the doctor and physical therapists gave to him. There were a couple he needed help doing, so he enlisted my help.

There he was, laying in his bed in the ridiculous white compression stockings he has to wear to help prevent blood clots, when he started the excruciating movements. His knee was just replaced. He had to move it. Let me rephrase that. HIS KNEE WAS JUST REPLACED and HE HAD TO MOVE IT. Oh. My. Gosh. I can't even imagine how painful that is, even when on painkillers. So I helped him. And cheered. And when I told him to keep his hip anchored so he wouldn't cheat on a movement (I am all about form, you know) he said to me "SHUT YOUR FACE!!!!!!!"

Now, a year or two ago, that might have bothered me. You see, my dad is one of the nicest men I have ever met. He isn't cruel or mean. In fact, I can't remember a single time I have seen him truly angry or heard him yell. (Side note: I have seen him disappointed, which is way worse than angry.) So him telling me to shut my face may have hurt my feelings in the past. But that day it didn't. I have become used to people hating me, but not really hating me. It is part of the job I chose to do. I get told, on a fairly regular basis, that I am disliked. I get growls and grunts and swears. It is how I know I am doing my job. And it was how I knew my dad was trying his hardest to regain his mobility. I am so proud of him for doing those exercises! You have no idea. It would have been easy for him to not do them based on the fact that they were hard and excruciating. But he decided to do them anyway because he knows that they are how he is going to get better.

I had to leave and come back to Virginia, but on the day I left he was able to do all of those exercises correctly by himself. And on Monday, he graduated from using a walker to crutches. AND he can now go down the stairs to his Man Cave. How cool is that? And he will be back to this in no time:

Love you , pops!
In other, non-fascinating news, I did reach a new PR on Back Squat. 205. At least one of my New Year's Resolutions is met. So now I can deadlift as much as I back squat. I am crying a little bit on the inside.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I can't imagine your dad yelling shut your face, but I do love the phrase, shut your face. :)

    ReplyDelete