1. My Kinesiology instructor says that people do not need to squat past a quarter squat and if they do, then they should kiss their knees goodbye. My eye started twitching. Don't worry, when he asked how many of us squat past that depth on a regular basis, I raised my hand and replied "Every time I go to the bathroom." Clearly I am making friends.
2. Some girls in my Nutrition class noticed my CrossFit Tysons Corner t-shirt and had the following conversation between themselves:
Girl 1: "OMG, do you see her shirt? Have you ever heard of CrossFit?"
Girl 2: "Yeah. Those people are crazy."
Girl 1: "I have seen some of their videos online. They do weird stuff."
Girl 2: "All of the women look like men."
Girl 1: "They really are too intense."
Girl 2: "Yeah, it really isn't healthy at all."
Girl 1: "No, and it isn't safe."
Now, I was already having a bad day and these two girls were not making it any better. I was not involved in the conversation other than hearing their take on CrossFit and I still am not sure if I acted appropriately. I didn't say anything and it took an enormous amount of restraint. If I would have said something, it would not have come out nice and that doesn't benefit anyone. However, I would like to say this: If you have never actually TRIED CrossFit or talked to a competent instructor, then you should do so before you decide it is unhealthy. Also, I don't look like a man. Thanks.
|This is an example of how some idiots make CrossFit unsafe. |
I can guarantee you this would not happen on my watch.
3. I had to take a mandatory online course about the dangers of alcohol. I just finished it, actually. And it told me of how a big change like going to college can really be stressful and that drinking alcohol is NOT the way to deal with stress. Also, I should never drive drunk or accept alcoholic beverages from people I don't know. Finally, "no means NO." I realize that these can be real and present dangers for real life college kids, but a married 29 year old who lives in her own apartment and works a few jobs does not need coaching on this subject. Besides, I only drink at home. It's cheaper and you don't have to drive anywhere. Duh.
|You too can lose 65 lbs with just a few clicks in Photoshop!|
Now, as for my unhealthy CrossFit related pursuits, I have done a few things recently:
1. I finished Helen at 12:12 as Rx-ed. 3 Rounds of 400m Run, 21 KB Swings (16kg), 12 Pull Ups. Not bad and definitely better than my last attempt.
2. I PR-ed on Filthy 50, finishing at 30:08. Unfortunately, Caleb, a studly trainer at Bethesda, did the WOD after me and finished in 15:53. I cried a little. Watching him was fascinating.
3. I am still holding strong at the 125# Overhead Squats.
Also, my shoulder has been killing me softly and I love my morning classes. They continue to be awesome!