Thursday, November 10, 2011

I'm Bringin' Sexy Back

One of the major risks in doing CrossFit is thinking your hands are absolutely invincible. In most of the movements you have to use your hands, which means that you totally build up some rockin' calluses. You may not notice these calluses but you do realize your hands are getting tougher. However, you DO notice these calluses in two situations:

1) You find yourself shaking the hand of a very nice sales associate at Macy's because he provided some of the very best customer service you have ever experienced and realize that your hands are as rough as a lumberjack's. And you're a girl. 

2) You rip one off doing pull ups. 

Oddly enough, both things happened to me in the past 2 days.

The Macy's sales associate handshake was no big deal. I just realized how very rough my hands have gotten over the last few years and was proud that my hands are so used to working out that the calluses haven't ripped off in at least a year.

That is when I should have knocked on wood.

As always, pride cometh before fall. Between Tuesday's and Wednesday's workouts, I did approximately 120 Pull Ups. One callus on each hand ripped when I had only 5 Pull Ups left of Wednesday's WOD. They look something like this now:

Yes, I grip the bar too tight.


Doesn't hurt at all, why do you ask?















Because I had to teach after this happened, I stuck a band aid and some tape on each hand and went about my business. One the way home after work, I texted DTM (at about 9:30pm) and asked him to please brew me up two black tea bags so I could place them on my wounds and let the tannins work their magic.

He was nice enough to make me the tea bags. He also made me soak my hands in peroxide before the tea party happened. That jerk. He said my name calling was better than MRSA. He is probably right. That doesn't mean I liked it though.

Afterwards, he helped me wrap my hands with antibiotic, band aids, and wrap. I looked basically like this:



I couldn't move my fingers. Taking out my contacts (which I should have done earlier but didn't) was a challenge. So was brushing my teeth. No, I didn't plan very well. When I wailed "I LOOK LIKE A BURN VICTIM!!!" all DTM could say was:

"I don't know, babe. You're bringing sexy back."

It's true. I was.

No, I don't have the receipt!
In other news, I have been crushing workouts lately. Here was Wednesday's:

21-15-9-15
Power Cleans (95/65)
Pull Ups
THEN
50 Burpees

I was shocked to find out the Power Cleans felt amazing, the Pull Ups weren't bad (up until the last 5), and the Burpees were phenomenal. That's right, folks. You heard it here first. Burpees and phenomenal in the same sentence. I finished in 12:51. 

No comments:

Post a Comment