Sunday, January 13, 2013

What Year is It?

It is now 2013 and I would totally be lying if I said that one of my New Year's Resolutions was to write more on my blog. I have no intention of writing more or less because really, it isn't a priority. I am also extremely bad at making goals as you can read on my post here. That's right. The powers that be at the gym are letting me write for their blog. Mwhahahahaha! Suckers.


2012 ended with a sniffle and a cough for us. I have been sick and/or injured on and off since the end of October and it has put a real damper on my training. In fact, I am still fending off yet another sinus infection/cold right now. DTM has a sore throat (he literally sneezed as I typed this). We're basically a hot mess. Due to my inability to lift heavy things or train particularly hard in the past few months, I have had some time to ruminate on my training plans for the next year (if I ever get back to at least 90%, that is). I have come to this conclusion: I am done doing stupid things to try to be the fastest and the strongest. That does not mean, however, that I will not try my best and push myself to be better. It just means I will be smarter about what I do and when I do it.

Here is just an example of what I mean:

Last year was the first year I registered for the CrossFit Open. I trained extra days to try to be better at movements I was bad at and the extra training wrecked me for days. I completed the Open in a mediocre fashion because I am a mediocre athlete. The amount of time and effort I would have to put in to move out of the mediocre range is no longer worth it to me BECAUSE I want to spend my time learning to become a better coach. I can't do both so I am playing to my strength: coaching. Sure I will still register and compete to do the Open this year but I sure as heck am not wrecking my body on Sundays so I can get just one round in whatever ridiculous workouts they throw at us this year. That extra round is going to make me just slightly less mediocre that the person I beat. I'm not going to the Games. I'm not going to Regionals. Heck, I may not even make it through a workout. I will do my best, though. And that is all I can ask of myself.

It has also become blatantly apparent to me in the past couple weeks that (and I am sorry mom and dad) my shit is weak. In order to combat this, I am attempting to do the Wendler 5/3/1 program correctly. I finished reading Jim Wendler's book today and I have a plan that I am excited about. I love lifting a ton (pun not really intended...but I giggled) and I want to get strong. I am good at being strong. It is going to take some time and patience but I will get there!

It is difficult to take a step back from what you have been working so hard at when you're broken. It is difficult to tell yourself "I know you feel good today, but you need to rest. That bronchitis isn't going to be cured by Fran." I am not sure, but I may have reached a point in my training/life where I only do what I need to in order to maintain my health and fitness and not hurt myself. I have no idea if that even makes sense to anyone else. I need to pull back just a bit to get healthy and stay healthy so I can continue what it is a I love to do.

Also, I just found this and it made my day!






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! I recently hit my 1-year anniversary at my CrossFit box, and simultaneously hit a wall...kind of the end of the honeymoon phase. I realized that I haven't met a lot of the (probably unreasonable) goals I set for myself in the early weeks of LAST January - I am still using pull-up assistance bands, still frightened of box jumps higher than 20", still struggling to get my toes through the d@mn rings. But...I'm freakishly strong, when it comes to lifting stuff. So there's that.

    I'm definitely not ready to subscribe to PBS's "Sit And Be Fit" programming, but I'm not totally sold on this mentality, either - http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/it-s-crossfit-and-it-s-going-hurt (read the comments...it's epic).

    I think I realized that, if I'm going to continue to love CrossFit, I need to take it down a notch. I'll never be one of the great CF athletes, and will always be in the stands at the Games...and as long as I keep improving, and meeting my own (small) goals, I'm okay with that.

    Hope the sinus thing clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete