Friday, April 5, 2013

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures: Nut Butter Edition

I am not entirely sure what is going on in Northern Virginia, but there seems to be a shortage of almond butter around these here parts. First world problems, I know. The only place we have been able to find it is at MOM's for roughly the same price as platinum. My first instinct was to throw all dietary advice out the window and dive head first into a giant jar of creamy Jif peanut butter but DTM bought Smuckers All-Natural instead. His sense of adventure is waning in his advanced age. Anyway, we sucked that down in about 3 days and have been nut butter-less since.

Until today.

Today I was doing the modern equivalent of hunting and gathering (read: digging in the freezer for snacks) when I was hit by both sudden inspiration and a falling package of frozen spinach. While the spinach left me cursing, the inspiration had me find our ever-present bags of walnuts and pecans because, gosh darnit, I was going to make my OWN nut butter to eat with my pink lady apple. I grabbed our copy of Paleo Comfort Foods, rifled to the nut butter recipe, measured out 2 cups of walnuts and 3 cups of pecans into our trusty food processor, turned it on, and waited for the magic to happen. According to the recipe, the butter would take 8 to 10 minutes to create. Here is what I learned:

1. Yes, nuts are the only ingredients you really need, though I added some vanilla for pizzazz.

2. At some point during the 10 minute time frame, roughly around minute 5, the food processor will try to make a valiant escape attempt off the counter. Make sure to either surround it with other, heavy items for emotional support or create a cushion-y place for it to land on your kitchen floor.

3. We are never, ever buying nut butter again. It is that easy to make.

That being said, I will probably gain 30 pounds from eating it with a spoon, straight out of the container and I really don't care. You should try and make your own. For serials. You won't regret it!

What?

1 comment:

  1. Alison! I cyber stalked you and found this. You should check your FB private messages. If you're wondering why I randomly posted this here, I had to find a way to tell you where Angela wouldn't find it bahahahaha. Also a huge chunk of my diet is JIF natural peanut butter. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete