Friday, December 13, 2013

405

Week two of my new regimen was a super great success! I have come up with sort of routine that allows me to get all my lifts in and video taped properly so I can subject poor Brandon to them. Even after just a couple weeks I am much more comfortable doing lifts I have never done before and using new equipment (ie, lifting straps). There were two awesome things about this last week. Let me sum up.

When I first started this program a couple weeks ago, it pretty much shook my confidence in my ability as an athlete and a coach. Everything I thought I knew, all the advice I give members, even the things I rock at coaching were undermined with the realization that even though I may be a great coach, I completely stink as an athlete. If I can't even get myself on the right track, how in the world can I coach others to be on their right track? This week I continuously reminded myself that it is ok not to be perfect at everything the first time you do it. Messing up is fine because you can just try again. The choices I made for myself while lifting worked for me and were validated by Brandon. And, get this, THINGS I KNOW HOW TO DO FOR OTHER PEOPLE WORK FOR ME TOO! Mind. Blown. Who'd have thunk it? Sometimes I wonder how I have survived this long.

The other thing I learned is that I can hold 405 pounds on my back for 30 seconds without folding like a cheap suit. There is a magical assistance lift called a bar walkout where you get the bar on your back like you're going to do a back squat but you just hold it. It was scary and awesome. DTM took a picture for proof:

Feel free to caption this. I have no idea what is happening.
I think I slightly terrify him. The poor guy. He'll get over it though. I am sure of it.

1 comment:

  1. 1) How did I just find this blog?
    2) That's a picture of you practicing to become a tank.

    ReplyDelete